Tuesday, August 16, 2005

My holiday - part 2

OMG!!! I have never in my entire life met a bunch of people shoved so far up their own asses that made me want to commit mass murder. Seriously, these people do not know what it is like to live in the real world. Every year D goes on holiday for 2 weeks camping. He goes with his family who, in turn, meet up with their friends and their spawn. This year, i went with them. Little did i know that i was about to be catapulted from the real world, into 'daddy buys me everything i want' world. D, bless him, has become immune to these people and can't see my problem. My 'problem' was this...

First night there, D introduces me to everyone. So far so good. For the next 5 days, not one of them speaks to me despite my efforts of 'hiyas' and 'how are yous'. In fact, i am blatently ignored. Why??? I'll tell you why! It's because my mummy and daddy aren't rich. They are not exactly poor, but they don't pay for my every whim. D is also ignored for much of the time, but because his parents are mates with their parents it seems that he is accepted into the fold. On day 6, one of them speaks to me. The conversation went somewhat like this...

Them: 'You have a very strong accent don't you.'
Me: 'Never noticed it'
T: 'Are you from a farm?'
M: 'Eh'
T: 'Does your folks have a farm because you sound very farmyard like'

There you go. I am, in fact, a duck. Ducks sound quite farmyard like don't they!??

Talk about stereotyping. All the above was, believe it or not, asked quite seriously and innocently. Because of my west country accent, it was presumed that i am from a farm. From day 7, i was refered to as 'the girl from the farm' or 'D's fling'. At least they spoke to me at random from then on. I was so grateful!!! *grimaces*

Now i must be off, i have to give someone a ride on my tractor. Cider anyone??

3 Comments:

Blogger Mister Hand said...

OMG--that sounds like a nightmare.

Coming from the South U.S., I have been privy to such exchanges myself. When I was in junior high, I made a concerted effort to get rid of my Southern accent. I wish I hadn't.

I like accents--all kinds of accents. I have no accent now. I'm boring.

And also not rich. Is this old money or new money? Here in the U.S. (in the South at least), I was shocked to find that old money is far more courteous than new money. (Of course, compared to your part of the world, over here it's ALL new money.)

2:28 PM  
Blogger LMPP said...

Old money is a hell of a lot more courteous than new money. Trouble is, alot of these people i met were 18 - 23 years old so to them it's just plain old power that drives their personality as the money is new to them. Their parents were alot more nicer and very polite and yes, they are old money.

You're not boring and i bet if i heard you speak you'll most definitely have an accent to me and most of my lot!

2:51 PM  
Blogger Mister Hand said...

Nope. I am wholly devoid of accent. Even your lot would say, "Gee, he has no accent." I am accent-less. I am blissfully affect-free.

Try saying that last sentence five times real fast--then you'll KNOW accent.

3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

black jack
blackjack